Image Dental assists you with all aspects of your oral health, including routine checkups, fillings, cosmetic dentistry and root canal treatments when needed. We always work hard to preserve the natural structure of the tooth, and in some cases, root canal treatment can be an excellent way to do this.
A root canal is recommended when the pulp, the soft tissue inside the root canal of a tooth, is infected. This can be caused by deep decay, repeated dental procedures, a crack or chip in the tooth, or an injury. Left untreated, this type of inflammation or infection is very painful and lead to abscess and tooth loss. Root canal treatment is the removal of the pulp.
Your root canal treatment may involve one or more visits to Image Dental. Following are the most common steps you can expect during your root canal:
- The tooth will be numbed for comfort.
- Next, an opening is made through the crown of the tooth creating access to the pulp chamber of the tooth.
- Now, the pulp can be removed, and the root canal can be cleaned.
- Next, your dentist may place medicine in the pulp chamber and root canal to help remove bacteria.
- A temporary filling is typically placed in the tooth to prevent contamination of the root canal until the next appointment.
- In the final step, the dentist will replace the temporary filling with a crown or a filling to strengthen it and make it look more natural.
Root canal treatment is a tried and true method of treating dental issues that can eliminate pain, reduce the spread of infection and save the tooth.
Don’t wait any longer if you’ve been feeling pain and discomfort in your mouth. Contact Image Dental to find the source of the problem and determine if a root canal treatment might be needed. If you’re feeling symptoms such as swelling, sharp pain when biting or sensitivity to cold or hot foods, call Image Dental in Cicero today at (708) 390-9599.