Visiting the dentist regularly can do more than just keeping an attractive and healthy smile. The practice of setting up a dental appointment every six months is beneficial for the overall oral health. It allows the dentist to keep track of the patient’s dental health and determine if they are at risk of diseases that might cause their mouth, teeth, and gums to deteriorate.
According to some studies, the mouth is the reflection of the body. When it is healthy, the overall health is also in a good state. On the other hand, poor oral health depicts potential health problems. In addition, an excellent oral condition eliminates the occurrence of certain diseases.
We at Image Dental work hard to cater to our patients’ different dental needs to help them achieve the best oral health that they always deserve. Maintaining the health of the mouth is important, to do so Complete Checkups and Dental Cleaning are the key.
The Mouth-Body Relationship
Since the mouth is the doorway towards the overall health, some studies conducted show the link between gum disease and other health-related complications. Here are some systemic diseases that have oral manifestations:
- Kidney disease
- Pancreatic cancer
- Cardiovascular disease
Failure to take care of the teeth and gums can lead to some serious and more complex health issues such as oral or facial pain, problems with the heart, and abrupt digestion.
The Things That You Can Do
Regular dental visits help keep track of your dental health and also lets the dentist detect unwanted developments that might cause health complications. But here’s what you can do at home:
- Opt for fluoridated toothpaste when brushing the teeth twice daily for at least two minutes.
- Some areas of the teeth can’t be reached by just brushing alone. Floss can help clean these areas and eliminate stuck particles.
- Supplying the body with its needed nutrients by eating healthy foods reduces the cases of gum disease.
- Observing a healthy lifestyle by avoiding cigarettes and tobacco smoking helps to prevent oral cancer or infected gums.
- Set an appointment with the dentist every six months for dental cleaning, as it is the most effective way to thoroughly clean the mouth and to determine gum disease, even in its earliest form.
The smile is the thing that keeps the face alive, but it is the dental health that keeps that smile going for life. Take good care of it, and it will take care of you.
Aim for a better and brighter smile, book your Dental Cleaning appointment in Cicero, IL with us at Image Dental. We are located at 3020 S. Cicero Ave., Cicero, IL 60804.