Cosmetic dentistry is one of the latest yet in-demand treatment for many people nowadays. Before, dentistry was only for the health and maintenance of the teeth, but with cosmetic options, people who have certain teeth imperfections can have their smiles corrected and even improved.
It consists multiple procedures that can cater to the needs and demands of the patients without compromising their comfort or safety. Over the years, the procedures it offers were continuously improved to ensure patient satisfaction.
At Image Dental, we understand the importance of one’s smile for their health and wellness which is why we offer only the best treatments for its maintenance. As for the correction of teeth imperfections such as discolorations, slight misalignments, poorly shaped, uneven, chipped, or broken teeth, we offer Cosmetic Dentistry solutions in the form of Teeth Whitening and Veneers.
History and Improvement of Cosmetic Dentistry Over the Years
The concern for the teeth’s appearance has been around even during the ancient times. People once used chew sticks to remove stains or plaque build-ups on their teeth. Ancient Egyptians, Romans, Mayans and more came up with techniques which improved the appearance of their teeth. From using several materials that would serve as replacement teeth up to utilizing various mixtures for brightening their teeth. Though some of them were believed to have been performed post-mortem due to its excruciating procedure, some have proofs of its existence.
During the ancient times, white teeth is a sign of wealth, power, and social standings which is why people go the extra miles of achieving it.
- Egyptians used the mixture of ground pumice and wine vinegar.
- Romans used goat’s milk and stale urine with ammonia as whitening agent.
- Some used to rub sage leaf and salt to their teeth or elecampane flower.
- Barbers used to handle the dental health including teeth whitening by using a metal file for abrasion and nitric acid.
- A peroxide-based solution was accidentally discovered by a dentist experimenting for the cure of gum disease and infections.
Since then whitening procedures were enhanced constantly to whiten the teeth of patients without the adverse effects of enamel wear or discolorations.
Dental Veneers were once used only in Hollywood for the temporary improvement of the actors’ teeth during takes.
- A dentist created an acrylic material that can be placed on the front surface of the teeth to improve its appearance; but it only lasts temporarily.
- As decades pass, the demands for Veneers from actors in Hollywood, as well as ordinary people, increased. That is when the dentist realized that many people could benefit from the treatment.
- Materials such as porcelain and composite are now used for the veneers, but its bond with the teeth cannot be secured.
- An etching solution was discovered and proven to be effective in providing better attachment of the veneer to the teeth.
- Previous discoveries were combined and further improved to offer more durability and natural-look.
Nowadays cosmetic dentistry procedures such as teeth whitening and veneers have come a long way in providing better-looking smiles for the overall wellness of patients.
Teeth Whitening and Veneers under Cosmetic Dentistry in Cicero, IL can transform a patient’s smile and self-confidence. Don’t wait any longer! Schedule your appointment with us at Image Dental! We welcome patients to schedule a consultation to see which treatments are best suited for them.